Pages

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Conversation I've had with Every Person I have Met in the Past Four Months


- Hi, my name is Krishna.
- Hey, nice to meet you.  So you just graduated from Notre Dame, right?
- Yeah, now I’m going to Ecuador to teach English for a year.
- Why are you going to Ecuador when you can teach English here?
- Because I want to learn Spanish.
- Well then you should have studied Spanish in college instead of English!
- I actually did study Spanish… and I didn’t study English.  What I meant to say is I want my Spanish to get better.
- Well I’m sure an experience teaching anywhere will help you get a job in a school when you get back.
- Yeah I hope so… wait, no!  I’m not trying to be a teacher as a career.  I’m applying to medical school right now — I'm  just going to Ecuador to teach English in the meantime.
- If you want to go to medical school why did you study Spanish in college?
- I was pre-med too, I just also like Spanish.
- Why didn’t you apply to medical school last year.
- I did and... well, I don’t want to talk about it.
- Oh OK, I got it now.  You want to go to medical school in Ecuador.
- No!  I just want to teach English there.
- (*squints eyes and thinks hard*) So you want to go to medical school in America, and to prepare yourself you are going to Ecuador for a year to be an ESL teacher?
- Correct.
- This makes no sense to me.
- I know.

2 comments:

  1. Geez... these people need to get out more. Is it really so shocking that someone would want to leave the US to embellish their language skills via TEFL and have other career trajectories in mind?

    p.s. Can you put these thoughts into a Venn diagram for me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have some idea in mind of what your doing in Ecuador (i.e improve your spanish) if you yourself know what your doing makes no sense but your still doing it anyway.

    ReplyDelete