Pages

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Things Ecuadorians Like: Diners Club Cards

Today my classes were canceled because of a bus strike (drivers want a bus ride to cost 25 cents—an increase from the current 20 cent fare).  Since I had a lot of free time I went ahead and wrote what is hopefully only the first part of a multi-part series entitled “Things Ecuadorians Like”.  These are brief observations about Ecuadorian life that don’t really fit in with any other narrative but that I  feel compelled to share nonetheless.




When I read in our orientation manual that the preferred credit card in Ecuador is Diners Club, I couldn’t help but start laughing.  I had literally only heard about the existence of Diners Club about a year ago in a blooper reel for The Office, so the only thing I knew about Diners Club was that it is used so infrequently that acceptance of it has become a joke in itself.  What is really so ridiculous about the whole thing is not that it is accepted, but that it is preferred.  In Ecuador, you’re not a baller unless you have a Diners Club card.  Here you can eat at a restaurant, attempt to pay with a MasterCard, American Express, or Visa, and be told that you can’t use a credit card unless it’s a Diners Club.

Just think, somewhere in Ecuador at a fancy nightclub a millionaire is handed a bill for a wild night of partying with his posse:

- Thank you for choosing our establishment tonight. Your total comes out to $152,500. How will you be paying?
- Put it on my Diners Club (*girls in the hottub giggle and whisper to each other about what a pimp move it is to pay with a Diners Club card*).
- Very well, sir. Enjoy the rest of your night.

So yeah, that’s the kind of stuff I think about when I don’t have work to do.

3 comments:

  1. Does it have a good airline rewards program?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder why they are so particular about which credit card they accept, especially since they don't want the good ones...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya for the airlines that are shut down...

    ReplyDelete