Pages

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Things Ecuadorians Like: Change

Living in Ecuador is nice because everything is so cheap here. The bus costs 20 cents, a cab ride to anywhere in Ambato is never more than $1.50, and you can easily eat lunch with $2 in your pocket. Today I was looking for shoes to wear with my interview suit and there was a pair for $11. I came to the conclusion that nothing good could possibly come from an $11 pair of shoes, so I bought an expensive pair for $22—but that doesn't take away from my point that living in this country is cheap.

One of the disadvantages of such a low cost of living is that you can't use big bills (read: any bill bigger than $5) anywhere without a fight. Of course, ATMs only spit out $20's and the occasional $10, so people aggressively guard their change. One time I seriously decided to not leave my house for a week because I only had a $10 and I didn't feel like looking for a taxi who had enough change. When I finally decided it was time to sack-up and leave the house, the first taxi I waved down said he had change for a ten. Sure enough he was lying, and we had to drive around town while he asked people selling random stuff on the street for change until he had enough.

Just today I was involved in a situation that was made more difficult by this country's seemingly endangered supply of small bills and change. I picked up my suit this morning and remembered that I needed a pair of dress socks to bring with me as well. They cost $2.90, and all I had was a ten dollar bill and less than a dollar in change. This is how the conversation went:

- I'd like this pair of socks please.
- That'll be $2.90
- Here you go. (*hand saleswoman a ten dollar bill*)
- Do you have any change?
- No, sorry. All I've got are ten dollar bills.
- Are you sure you don't have anything smaller? I don't have any change.
- Uh, hold on. (*move hands in pockets acting like I am looking for change*) Nope, definitely don't have any change.
- Well I don't have any change either.

What followed was an incredibly awkward staring match— a match in which the winner would rifle the defeated opponent's stash of change and leave them with the heavy burden of a ten dollar bill. Fifteen seconds later, negotiations resumed.

- OK, if I can't pay with cash then can I pay with a credit card?
- Yeah... (*brain starts clicking and she realizes what a pain in the ass it is to use a credit card in this country*) just give me the ten dollar bill.

I paid with my ten and she gave me my change in nickles. I will leave you with that imagery because I think it accurately captures what my experiences with change in Ecuador have been like: I never win.

1 comment:

  1. Damn Holmes, you paid for a $2.90 purchase with a ten dollar bill and got your change in nickels... I should bring my change jar and live like a king!

    ReplyDelete