Pages

Monday, November 15, 2010

Things Ecuadorians Like: Food in Bags

I'm not sure why, but Ecuadorians seem to like foods that come in bags. It could be because it is cheaper than boxing and canning food, because it keeps things fresh for longer, or because they think it makes it look like the future (which it does).

In any case, every single time I see a certain type of food in a bag for the first time it blows my mind
Some of the various bagged foods in my house.
because of the intrinsic consequences of such packaging: ketchup doesn't make that farting noise when you squeeze out the last of it, it is no longer necessary to scrape the bottom of the jelly jar and accidentally get your hands all sticky in the process, and it just feels wrong pouring milk out of a sack.

The food bagging extends into the realm of take-out food as well. I went to a nearby chicken joint the other day and ordered a combo to go. What I got were four little plastic bags: one with a piece of chicken, one with french fries, one with a serving of rice, and the last one with a soft drink. Yup, they put my soda in a bag.

I'm glad I don't have a car in Ecuador, because trying to eat this while driving home would be a disaster.

3 comments:

  1. I guess the lesson learned is don't take the food to go next time.Soda in a bag... wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil, Mrs. Yuhas, and I are enjoying your posts, Krishna.

    My one question: Have you established the infamous points system in your classroom yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah, if my students get out of hand I just remind them how big of a deal I am and they usually settle down.

    ReplyDelete